Building your aquarium is one of the most fun things to do, from deciding what plants and substrate to purchase to determining which creatures would thrive in your tank. However, even though building your perfect aquarium can be a wonderful hobby, it requires a lot of maintenance, particularly when it comes to changing water.
Changing the water in an aquarium must be done every two weeks. Even though it can be challenging, aquarium water changers provide you with an easy solution. This guide will walk you through a list of the top seven best aquarium water changers. Next, we’ll walk you through a buying guide and an explanation explaining why you need a water changer.
Let’s take a closer look!
What is an Aquarium Water Changer?
An aquarium water changer is a practical device designed to fill and empty an aquarium. It is similar to a gravel vacuum that works to clean out waste from the substrate in the aquarium. However, unlike a gravel vacuum, the aquarium water change can be attached to a faucet. Most aquarium water changers come with a faucet adaptor, a gravel tube, and a water flow sink attachment.
The aquarium water changer pulls water from the tank and empties it into a sink or bucket. It is convenient because using the water changer means that you don’t need to siphon water.
To use an aquarium water changer, you must do the following:
- First, you need to attach the water flow assembly to a faucet. You will need to use the faucet adaptor to secure the water flow attachment.
- Next, you need to put the gravel tube in the aquarium water. Please ensure that the tube is fully submerged.
- The water flow assembly attachment has two valves on it. Close the gravel tube valve, making sure you open the water flow assembly valve.
- Switch on the faucet. The gravel tube will start to vacuum the aquarium.
- Once you are satisfied with the amount of cleaning that has taken place, open the gravel tube valve and close the water flow assembly valve.
The aquarium water change siphons water while cleaning the tank simultaneously!
7 Best Aquarium Water Changer for You
There are several aquarium water changers available in the market. After conducting extensive research, we’ve concluded that this product by Aqueon is the best aquarium water changer that money can buy. While it’s a little expensive, it is easy to use and is one of the highest-rated water changers available online, with over 7,000 4.5-star ratings! This product by Aqueon helps make the water changing process much easier by eliminating the need to fill and empty buckets of water. All you need to do is attach the vacuum to your faucet and turn it on so that it siphons water while cleaning the tank and refilling it simultaneously. Let’s look more closely at the specifics:
- This product comes with a 25-foot long rubber hose.
- It comes with an 11-inch gravel tube. This tube has a built-in valve to control water flow.
- It comes with a multi-connection faucet adaptor.
- Its water flow sink attachment also comes with an adjustable valve.
- This product has a splash-reducing guard.
- This product has a faucet adaptor, making life easier for you.
- It has a long hose.
- It is more expensive than other aquarium water changers, so it might not be for you if you are on a budget.
This water changer by Aqueon is worth investing in because it helps you change the water in your fish tank in no time at all. It is a high-quality product, and while it is expensive, it’s worth the investment in the long run.
Our second pick is the Python No Spill Clean and Fill Aquarium Maintenance System. We’ve listed this product at the top of our list for a reason: this product is one of the best and most popular water changers available. It comes with several good-quality fittings and can clean your aquarium in under an hour. While we admit that this product is much more expensive than other aquarium water changers, we can assure you that its high-quality materials will last you for years to come.
- This water changer comes with a 25-foot long rubber tube.
- It has a ten-inch gravel vacuum.
- It also comes with a faucet adapter made of brass.
- One can extend up the rubber tubing to 100 feet.
- It is made of high-quality materials.
- The adapter makes it easy to attach this aquarium water changer to most faucets.
- It is pretty expensive.
We would recommend this product to users who don’t want to spend time dealing with leaks or spills resulting from an aquarium water changer. This product is hassle-free and easy to use.
Our third pick is the UPETTOOLS Aquarium Gravel Cleaner. This water changer and cleaner is much more affordable than our top two options, but it doesn’t skimp on quality. One of the most notable features of this product is that it is multi-purpose. In addition to changing the water in your aquarium, it also allows you to vacuum your gravel substrate, wash sand, suck dirt and clean out the debris, and filter the aquarium water!
- It comes with a 110V/28W powerful water pump motor.
- The water pump can pump 1700 liters per hour into the tank, should you need that much water!
- The pump flow is adjustable.
- It comes with an external water pipe and four extension tubes.
- It comes with a duckbill suction head, a fine sand suction head, a suction base, a rain shower, a filter bag, and a rubber handle.
- This product is easy to use and install.
- The UPETTOLS team offers 24×7 customer support for queries or grievances.
- This product works in both freshwater and saltwater aquariums.
- It is multi-purpose.
- It needs to be connected to a heavy-duty socket.
This aquarium water changer is perfect for people who have been struggling to find a multi-purpose product that does more than change water.
Another excellent recommendation for you is the Laifoo Aquarium water changer. Like the UPETTOOLS water changer, this product is also multi-purpose because it can siphon water and clean gravel while changing the water in your aquarium.
- This water changer comes with a 25-foot long hose.
- It also comes with a gravel tube and a siphon ball that work together to clean the tank of dirt and debris.
- It also comes with a three-in-one faucet adaptor.
- This product is highly affordable.
- It is effortless to use, especially if you struggle with different kinds of cleaning equipment.
- You get three months of warranty with your purchase.
- The faucet adaptor only works for three types of faucets.
This product is perfect for people who want a fuss-free aquarium water changer that is easy to use and affordable.
Next up is the aquarium water changer and cleaner by Genuine TERA. This product is one of the cheapest water changers available out there. It is easy to use and ideal for smaller and medium-sized fish tanks designed to hold ten gallons of water or less. Even though it is cheap, the water changer is powerful.
- This water changer was designed to be operated with one hand.
- You can attach the suction tube to the aquarium glass.
- It comes with a discharge hose, suction cup, intake nozzle, and operation bulb.
- It also comes with a second nozzle to clean out fish waste and gravel.
- The water pump is very powerful.
- It is highly affordable.
- This water changer won’t work in more giant tanks.
This water changer is reasonably priced and quick, and easy to use.
Our second last recommendation is the Boxtech fish tank water changer. We’re recommending this at the end of our list because of its mid-range pricing and functional design. You can use this product to change the water in your aquarium and vacuum the substrate as well.
- It comes with a six-foot-long hose.
- It also comes with an airbag, anti-suction cover, sand washer, and hose joint.
- The hose is made of flexible PVC piping.
- This product is reasonably priced.
- It is easy for beginners to use.
- The suction is not strong enough for larger tanks.
This product is ideal for aquarium owners searching for a compact and straightforward water changer.
Our final recommendation is the Hygger water changer and cleaner. This product sucks dirt, changes water, and vacuums gravel effortlessly! It’s also very easy to use and is reasonably priced.
- This water changer comes with a water flow clamp and a water hose clamp.
- It comes with double airbags, a 3D filter, and a tube connector.
- It comes with a six-and-a-half-foot-long tube.
- It is affordable.
- It is simple to use.
- The water suction is weak at times.
This water changer is simple and quick to use, and ideal for beginners.
Buyer’s Guide: Best Aquarium Water Changer
There’s a list of factors to consider when buying an aquarium water changer. Here is our quick buyer’s guide to help you select the best water changer to suit your needs.
The size of your tank.
It’s essential to consider the size of your tank before you buy an aquarium water changer. For instance, if you have a small tank that fits only three medium-sized fish, you don’t want to purchase a water changer with a 25-foot long hose! The long hose might siphon the water too quickly and accidentally suck a fish or plant out. Therefore, you must assess the aquarium size before buying a water changer.
The aquatic life in your tank.
When buying a water changer, you must also remember to consider the creatures and plants that live in your aquarium. If you purchase an aquarium water changer with a hose with a large nozzle, you want to ensure that it won’t kill a fish by siphoning it with the water during a water change. Keep the aquatic life in mind!
The number of features offered.
Make sure that you carefully read through the number of features that a water changer offers. For instance, if you can find a product that fits a wide variety of faucets, it is worth buying.
Why Do You Need an Aquarium Water Changer?
It would be best to have an aquarium water changer to help your fish and plants remain healthy.
Changing the water in your aquarium is more important than you might think it is. While the water might look clean and clear when you peek through the glass, you will come to realize that it isn’t if you start to move the substrate around.
When you feed your fish or other aquatic creatures, they don’t always eat every food particle dropped in. Instead, their food sinks to the bottom of the tank. Fish excrete urine and feces after eating. The bodily waste that they expel lowers the water quality. The water changer will also help you get rid of built-up phosphate and nitrate waste.
The combination of bodily waste, minerals, and other bacteria that accumulate over time all contribute to the water’s chemistry, which, in turn, affects the quality of life of the fish and plants in your aquarium. This is where the aquarium water changers come into the picture. Therefore, it would help if you have an aquarium water changer to filter out the waste and debris from the fish tank while adding fresh water to help your fish and plants thrive.
What Problem Comes With ALL Water Changers?
A common problem with all water changers is the water flow assembly attachment. This attachment fitting comes in only one size and can cause problems when people have faucets that cannot fit the water flow attachment.
However, while it is a frustrating problem, we’re here to tell you that there is a simple solution. All you need to do is go to your local hardware store and purchase a faucet adaptor. Once you do that, you need not worry about fitting the water changer attachment onto the faucet you have.
One of the easiest ways to dry out the hose is to hang it from a height and let the water drip dry. If you have a shower rod in your bathroom or a hook in a storage closet, you can hang the hose up with the two open ends facing down and let it dry. When hanging the hose in an area like a storage closet, we’d recommend placing a bucket underneath to catch any lingering water.
You must change your aquarium water every one to two weeks. If you cannot change it every week, you must make sure to change it every two weeks.
This guide took you through a list of seven of the best aquarium water changers. When you go through putting an aquarium together, you must remember how important it is to maintain the health and well-being of your fish and aquatic plants. Changing the water in an aquarium is one such way to do so! Aquarium water changers make the process of changing water much less time-consuming and difficult. Once you’ve purchased this device, we can assure you that you will get this task done in no time at all!